Addictions can also be suffered in different ways, which, according to experts, there are three: by social factors, by behavior disorders, or by genetic factors. In this article, we will talk to you about the most common addictions to substances, since otherwise, we would have to extend many pages.
The most common addictions
Substance dependencies are one of the most common types of addiction that exist. Many substances are illegal in the world, but others are entirely legal and easily accessible. Without further ado, we present the seven most common addictions with substances.
- Caffeine: This substance is very commonly used by millions of people daily, and as it has been listed as a low-risk substance, it has still been debated whether or not it can cause addiction. Its effects are stimulation of the brain, loss of sleep, and increased heart rate. In the long term, it can affect a person’s productivity and also their capacity for social interaction and behavior.
- Psychopharmaceuticals: Psychopharmaceuticals are legal drugs for psychological alteration and are used in many psychiatric treatments. These require a prescription. However, they can be obtained in different ways. It falls within the most common addictions because many drugs can cause dependence. Its effects depend on each person’s physical factors, so the dependents develop different symptoms between them.
- Alcohol: Alcohol is probably one of the most common substances on which people develop a dependency; this also depends on social factors, such as the normalization and legalization of this drink. However, alcohol addiction is considered one of the most serious addictions that exist. The symptoms that an alcoholic develops vary depending on the person, but there are common symptoms such as behavioral transformation, isolation, aggressiveness, depression, etc. The most famous treatment to beat this addiction is, in fact, one of the most famous in rehabilitation; this is the 12-Step Treatment.
- Cannabis: This substance is a very particular case, since it is the illegal substance most consumed in the world, mainly by adolescents between 16 and adults of 29 years. The cannabis plant has been used for many years throughout history, mostly for medicinal purposes, but there are also therapeutic and recreational uses. Its consumption can be in the form of cigarettes or the culinary field, making all kinds of cakes and bread. Addiction to this drug, although it indeed has minor symptoms compared to other drugs, can have very negative results. In the long term, cognitive responses and brain activity are affected, in addition to short-term memory decline, and schizophrenia can even develop.
- Opiates: Opiates are considered one of the most addictive substances that exist, with a very high addictive potential from the first dose. It is known that these substances are among the most toxic and harmful to human health. Heroin is just one example of an opiate. They mainly affect the nervous and cardiac systems and specific organs. The damage it can cause is irreparable and is most often psychological damage, which causes the affected individual to no longer have a normal interaction with reality. The withdrawal syndrome caused by these drugs is known to be so severe that it can be fatal.
- Nicotine: Nicotine is a substance derived from Tobacco. It is legal and, like alcohol, its consumption is normalized, although there is a difference: tobacco users are more aware of its consequences. Withdrawal syndrome has intense but not life-threatening symptoms, such as anxiety, mood swings, and nervousness. The respiratory system is the most affected, especially the lungs and larynx.
- Steroids: We finally have the addiction to steroids. These are synthetic substances that simulate certain natural hormones. They are used in sports to increase muscle mass and increase body activity. Its abuse affects many parts of the body, and symptoms such as cardiovascular problems, gynecomastia, mood swings, among others, may appear.
Addictions are more than chemical dependencies. It is a condition that can develop for various reasons. Different studies have revealed the most common addictions. This article focuses on substance addictions, but let’s not forget that addictions also encompass behavioral dependencies. If you feel that you or someone close to you is experiencing this, you need to talk to them and seek professional help.